Directions：There are three passages in this part. Each passage is followed by some questions or unfinished statements. For each of them there are four choices marked A，B，C and D. You should decide on the best choice and mark the corresponding letter on the Answer Sheet with a single line through the center.
Questions 1 to 5 are based on the following passage.
What exactly is a lie？Is it anything we say which we know is untrue？Or is it something more than that？For example，suppose a friend wants to borrow some money from you. You say “I wish I could help you but I'm short of money myself.” In fact，you are not short of money but your friend is in the habit of not paying his debt and you don't want to hurt his feelings by reminding him of this. Is this rally a lie？
Professor Jerald Jellison of the University of Southern California has made a scientific study of lying.（76）According to him，women are better liars than men，particularly when telling a “white lie”，such as when a woman at a party tells another woman that she likes her dress when she really thinks it looks awful. However，this is only one side of the story. Other researchers say that men are more likely to tell more serious lies，such as making a promise which they have no intension of fulfilling. This is the kind of lie politicians and businessmen are supposed to be particularly skilled at：the lie from which the liar hopes to profit or gain in some way.
Research has also been done into the way people's behavior changes in a number of small，apparently unimportant ways when they lie. It has been found that if they are sitting down at the time，they tend to move about in their chairs more than usual. To the trained observer they are saying “I wish I were somewhere else now.” They also tend to touch certain parts of the face more often，in particular the nose. One explanation of this may be that lying causes a slight increase in blood pressure. The tip of the nose is very sensitive to such changes and the increased pressures make it itch.
Another gesture which gives liars away is what the writer Desmond Morris in his book Manwatching calls “the mouth cover”。（77）He says there are several typical forms of this，such as covering part of the mouth with the fingers，touching the upper-lip or putting a finger of the hand at one side of the mouth. Such a gesture can be understood as an unconscious attempt on the part of the liar to stop himself or herself from lying.
Of course，such gestures as rubbing the nose or covering the mouth，or moving about in a chair cannot be taken as proof that the speaker is lying. They simply tend to occur more frequently in this situation. It is not one gesture alone that gives the liar away but a whole number of things， and in particular the context in which the lie is told.
1. According to the passage，a “white lie” seems to be a lie
A. that other people believe
B. that other people don't believe
C. told in order to avoid offending someone
D. told in order to take advantage of someone
2. Research suggests that women
A. are better at telling less serious lies than men are
B. generally lie far more than men do
C. lie at parties more often than men do
D. often make promises they intend to break
3. Researchers find that when a person tells lies
A. his blood pressure increases measurably
B. he looks very serious
C. he tends to make some small changes in his behavior
D. he uses his unconscious mind
4. One reason people sometimes rub their noses when they lie is that
A. they wish they were somewhere else
B. the nose is sensitive to physical changes caused by lying
C. they want to cover their mouths
D. they are trying to stop themselves from telling lies
5. The tone of this passage tells us that the writer
A. hates to lie
B. enjoys lying
C. often tells a lie
D. tries to analyze lying
1. 「答案」C 本题考查的是考生对细节的把握，答案对应于文章第一、二段。第一段中“you don't want to hurt his feelings by reminding him of this.”，第二段又用举例的方法解释了white lie的含义。这个例子就是“such as when a woman at a party tells another woman that she likes her dress when she really think it looks awful.”
2. 「答案」A 本题考查的也是考生对细节的把握，答案对应文章的第二段。该段比较了男人和女人说谎的不同，而且男人更可能说更严重的谎言。参见第二段中句子“Other researchers say that men are more likely to tell more serious lies，……”这里的比较就是与前一句中女人撒谎相比。
3. 「答案」C 本题考查的也是考生对细节的把握，答案对应于第三段第一句：Research has also been done into the way people's behavior changes in a number of small，apparently unimportant ways when they lie. 同样有研究侧重于当人们说谎时他们行为的一些细小的，明显的不重要的改变，很容易看出答案C与该句符合。
4. 「答案」B 本题考查的也是考生对细节的把握，答案对应于第三段最后一句：The tip of the nose is very sensitive to such changes and the increased pressures make it itch. 鼻尖对这样的变化非常敏感，血压的增加使得它发痒，即与B选项吻合。
5. 「答案」D 此题考查的是考生对整篇短文的观点的理解。文章首先讲到男人女人说谎的不同，而后又分析说谎时人们行为方式的变化等等，所以说文章是在分析说谎。其他选项错误。
1.In fact，you are not short of money but your friend is in the habit of not paying his debt and you don't want to hurt his feelings by reminding him of this. 实际上，你并不缺钱，但是你的这位朋友却有欠钱不还的习惯而你又不想通过提醒他这点而伤害他的感情。句子结构分析：you are not short of…but your friend is in the habit of…and you don't want to…by…；short of…缺乏…；in the habit of…养成…习惯；pay one's deb还…的债；remind sb of…提醒某人使想起…。
2.He says there are several typical forms of this，such as covering part of the mouth with the fingers，touching the upper-lip or putting a finger of the hand at one side of the mouth. 他说有几种动作形式，例如用手指掩一部分嘴，摸上嘴唇或者一个手指支在嘴角。句子结构分析：He says there are several typical forms of this，such as…；cover…with…用…遮盖。
short of…缺乏…；in the habit of…养成…习惯；pay one's deb还…的债；remind sb of…提醒某人使想起…；liar惯于说谎者；awful糟糕的；fulfill履行，实现，完成；sensitive敏感的，灵敏的；give…away出卖…；unconscious无意识的，不省人事；attempt尝试，努力，试图；rub擦，摩擦；context上下文；itch发痒；
Question 6 to 10 are based on the following passage.
（78）Let children learn to judge their own work. A child learning to talk does not learn by being corrected all the time：if corrected too much，he will stop talking. He notices a thousand times a day the difference between the language he uses and the language those around him use. Bit by bit，he makes the necessary changes to make his language like other people's. In the same way，children learning to do all the other things they learn to do without being taught—to walk，run，climb，whistle，ride a bicycle—compare their own performances with those of more skilled people，and slowly make the needed changes. But in school we never give a child a chance to find out his mistakes and correct them for himself. We do it all for him. We act as if we thought that he would never notice a mistake unless it was pointed out to him，or correct it unless he was made to. Let him work out，with the help of other children if he wants it，what his word says，what the answer is to that problem，whether this is a good way of saying or doing this or not.
If it is a matter of right answers，as it may be in mathematics or science，give him the answer book. Let him correct his own papers. Why should we teachers waste time on such routine work？Our job should be to help the child when he tells that he can't find the way to get the right answer. Let the children learn what all educated persons must some day learn，how to measure their own understanding，how to know what they know or do not know.
6. According to the passage，which of the following is the best way for children to learn things？
A. Listening to skilled people's advice.
B. Asking older people many questions.
C. Making mistakes and having them corrected.
D. Doing what other people do.
7. The writer think teachers should NOT
A. give children correct answers B. allow children to make mistakes
C. point out children's mistakes to them D. let children mark their own work
8. According to the writer，teachers in school should
A. allow children to learn from each other
B. point out children's mistakes whenever found
C. correct children's mistakes as soon as possible
D. give children more book knowledge
9. According to the passage，learning to speak and learning to ride a bicycle are
A. different from learning other skills B. the same as learning other skills
C. more important than other skills D. not really important skills
10. The title of this passage could probably be
A. Let Us Teachers Stop Work
B. Let Us Make Children Learn
C. Let Children Correct Their Exercises
D. Let Children Learn By Themselves
1. Let him work out，with the help of other children if he wants it，what his word says，what the answer is to that problem，whether this is a good way of saying or doing this or not. 让他自己解决，如果他愿意的话可以在其他孩子们的帮助下，他说什么，这个问题的答案是什么，这是否是说或者做的一个好方法。
句子结构分析：Let him work out…what his word says，what the answer is to that problem，whether this is a good way of saying or doing this or not.with the help of…在句中作插入语成份。而work out后面跟的是三个并列成份。
2. Let the children learn what all educated persons must some day learn，how to measure their own understanding，how to know what they know or do not know. 让孩子们学习那些受过教育的人们有朝一日要学习的，如何衡量他们自己的理解力，如何知道他们知道什么，不知道什么。
句子结构分析：Let the children learn what…，how to…，how to…，what…，how to…，how to…为句子的三个并列宾语从句。
Judge判断；Bit by bit逐渐地；whistle吹口哨；performance执行，行为；point out指出；work out解决；waste浪费；routine日常事务，例行公事；
Questions 1 to 5 are based on the following passage：
（79）John had bought a packet of cigarettes just before we caught the train and he offered me one as we settled ourselves in our compartment. We were on our way back from a camping holiday；we had lived rough for over a fortnight and even a cigarette was a luxury at that moment.
I felt in my pocket for a box of matches，but could not find any.
“I haven't got any either，” said John.
Sitting opposite to us was a man whose face was hidden by a newspaper.
“Excuse me，sir，”said John，leaning across. “Could you give me a light，please？”
The newspaper was lowered to reveal a rather elderly man with a stern face.
“This is a no smoking compartment，”the man said. He indicated the notice near the window. We apologized and put away our unlit cigarettes.
（80）The man went on，in a rather more kindly way，to warn us against the dangers of smoking.
“I speak as a doctor，”he concluded，and after that he went back to reading his newspaper.
When he got out a few stations later，he left his newspaper behind him. We picked it up，eager to find out what had happened while we were on holiday.
“Just look at this，”remarked John，pointing to a photograph. “it's the man who was sitting opposite us.” Underneath the photograph was an account of a lunatic （精神病者）who had recently escaped. It appeared that he liked to pretend to be a doctor.
11.The friends had spent their holiday ______.
A. on a boat B. in a tent C. on a farm D. with an aunt
12. Their holiday had lasted ______.
A. more than two weeks B. just two weeks
C. less than two weeks D. a week or two
13. The man ______.
A. threw his newspaper away
B. offered them his newspaper
C. dropped his newspaper
D. did not take his newspaper with him
14. The two friends read the newspaper ______.
A. in a hurry B. with great interest
C. to pass the time D. to look at the pictures
15. The man's photograph was in the newspaper because he was ______.
A. a doctor B. a spaceman C. a madman D. an actor
11、B 此题考查的是考生对文章信息的搜索。We were on our way back from a camping holiday.说明作者刚刚结束露营回来，而露营一般都会联想到tent“帐篷”。A项on a boat“在船上”，C项on a farm“在农场上”，D项 with an aunt“与阿姨一起”，这三项在文章中都没有体现。
12、A 本题考查的是对词义的理解。We had lived rough for over a fortnight.Fortnight意思是两周。Over，“超过”，超过两周，所以应选A， more than two weeks.
13、D.倒数第二行说：He left his newspaper behind him…… A. threw his newspaper away，“扔掉报纸”；B. offered them his newspaper “将报纸给了作者和他的朋友”；C. dropped his newspaper，“扔掉报纸”。
14、D.最后一段第一行说：“Just look at this”，remarked John，pointing to a photograph. “pointing to a photograph”，“指着报纸上的照片”。A. in a hurry，“匆忙地”；B. with great interest，“带着很大的兴趣”；C. to pass the time，“为了消磨时间”。这三项都与文章的意思不符，所以应选A。
15、C.此题旨在测试考生对单词的理解。最后一段第二行说：“Underneath the photograph was an account of a lunatic who had recently escaped.” Lunatic意为“精神病患者”。所以应选C.a madman。
1、John had bought a packet of cigarettes just before we caught the train and he offered me one as we settled ourselves in our compartment. 就在我们赶上火车之前约翰买了一包烟，等我们在车厢安顿好之后他递给我一支。Catch the train，赶上火车。Settle sb. in some places，在某处坐好，安顿好。
2、The man went on，in a rather more kindly way，to warn us against the dangers of smoking. 这个男人以一种更和善的口吻坚持让我们警惕吸烟的危害。In a more kindly way，为插入语，修饰这个人说话的语气、态度。To warn us against the dangers of smoking是宾语成分。
Settle sb. in some places，坐好、安顿好；live rough艰苦地度过；be opposite to在对面；lean across倾斜身体； no smoking compartment无烟车厢；warn against告捷、警告；eager to急于做某事；an account of，…的说明；pretend to假装
Part Ⅱ Vocabulary and Structure （30%）
Directions：In this part，there are 30 incomplete sentences. For each sentence there are four choices marked A，B，C and D. Choose the ONE answer that best completes the sentence. Then mark the corresponding letter on the Answer Sheet with a single line through the centre.
16. ______ the fact that the area had been hit by the severest drought in twenty years，a fairly good harvest was gathered in.
A. In spite B. Despite
C. In spite that D. Despite of
17. I objected ______ the meeting without him.
A. to have B. to having C. having D. have
18. There was no sense ______ him to come early since everything was ready.
A. to ask B. to have asked
C. in asking D. being asking
19. ______ her inexperience，she has done quite a good job.
A. Provided B. Given C. Seen D. Suppose
20. The movie star ______ with your sister，didn't he？
A. was used to dance B. used to dancing
C. used to dance D. was used to dancing
21. Every means ______ since then.
A. has been trying B. have been trying
C. have been tried D. has been tried
22. “I'd like to buy an expensive camera.”
“Well，we have several models for you ______ .”
A. to be chosen from B. of choice
C. to choose from D. for choosing
23. The picture reminds me ______ the time we spent together in New York.
A. of B. in C. for D. to
24. I owe you some money. Let me pay you ______ now.
A. back B. for C. in D. to
25. Alone in a deserted house，he was so busy with his research work that he felt ______ lonely.
A. nothing but B. anything but C. all but D. everything but
26.______ ，the new electronic device they designed is now in regular operation.
A. With the solved problem B. With this problem being solved
C. With the problem solved D. With this problem to solve
27. We are looking forward to ______ to the lecture by the famous professor.
A. send B. be sent C. being sent D. sending
28. I suddenly realized that he was trying to ______ quarrelling with me.
A. consider B. enjoy C. avoid D. prevent
29. It was not a serious accident；our car needs only some ______ repairs.
A. major B. secondary C. minor D. primary
30. We've ______ sugar. Ask Mrs. Jones to lend us some.
A. run away with B. run down C. run off D. run out of
31. It is necessary that an efficient worker ______ his work on time.
A. accomplishes B. can accomplish
C. accomplish D. has accomplished
32. Mother insisted that ______ .
A. they are to be back before nine in the evening
B. they ought to be back before nine in the evening
C. they be back before nine in the evening
D. they had to be back before nine in the evening
33.______ can be judged from her eyes，she has no personal hostility to us.
A. It B. As C. Which D. That
34. The politician urged that all citizens______ to the polls on election day.
A. had gone B. went C. must go D. go
35. No one doubts ______ he is the best leader in the company.
A. whether B. if C. what D. that
36. Frankly speaking，I'd rather ______ you anything about it for the time being.
A. didn't do B. haven't C. didn't D. have done
37. Henry looked ______ very much when he was caught cheating in the biology exam.
A. discouraged B. embarrassed
C. disappointed D. bewildered
38. The Anti-Japanese War ______ in 1937 and it ______ eight years.
A. was broken out；lasted B. broke out；lasted
C. broke；remained D. had been broken out；kept
39. Hardly had he finished his speech ______ the audience started cheering.
A. then B. when C. than D. as
40. The child was ______ immediately after supper.
A. so tired that he went to bed B. enough tired to go to be
C. too tired to go to bed D. very tired，he went to bed
41. I did not choose any of the three ways，because I found ______ satisfactory.
A. neither of them B. either of them C. none of them D. none of it
42. How we ______ a chance to visit your great country！
A. looked for B. longed for C. waited for D. went for
43. Don't ______ to let me know if there is anything I can do for you.
A. reject B. prevent C. hesitate D. refuse
44. Children shouldn't leave their toys on the floor. They should ______ .
A. put out them B. put off them C. put them away D. put them off
45. The traveler brought back some ______of the rocks from the mountains.
A. samples B. specimens C. selections D. examples
Part Ⅱ Vocabulary and Structure
16.「答案」B.despite：不管，不顾。而In spite of 才表示此义。
17.「答案」B.object to 是固定搭配，其中的to是介词，后接动名词。
18.「答案」C.“there is no sense in doing sth.”是固定句型，表示“不必做某事或做某事是没道理的”。
19.「答案」B.动词give 与主语she 是被动关系，所以用given. provided 是连词，相当于if。
20.「答案」C.本题考查used to do （过去常常做某事）和be used to doing sth.（习惯于做某事）的区别。
21. 「答案」D.means （方式，方法）作主语，谓语动词用单数形式。
23. 「答案」A.Remind sb. of sth. 提醒某人想起某事来。固定搭配。
24. 「答案」A.pay back：换钱。pay for：付账。
25. 「答案」A.nothing but：只有。
27. 「答案」C.look forward to doing sth.：盼望着做某事。to 是介词，后接动名词。
28. 「答案」C.avoid doing sth.：避免做某事。备选项中只有avoid后接动名词。
29. 「答案」C.由前句not a serious 可知这里应填minor（较小的）。
30. 「答案」D.run out of：用光。run away with：逃掉；run down：往下跑；run off：离开。
31.「答案」C.在句型“It is necessary that…”中that 从句中要用虚拟语气，其构成是should do。
33.「答案」B.as替代后面的句子she has no personal hostility to us。
34.「答案」D.urge（强烈要求）后的宾语从句中要用should do 表示虚拟语气。
36.「答案」A.would rather 后的从句中用虚拟语气。一般都是用一般过去式表示虚拟。
41.「答案」C.表示三者及三者以上的没有一个用none. 两者当中没有一个用neither或nor.them 代替three ways。
43. 「答案」C.Hesitate to do sth.：不愿做某事。
44. 「答案」C.put away：收起来，存储；put out：熄灭；put off：延期。
Part III Identification (10%)
Directions: Each of the following sentences has four underlined parts marked A, B, C and D. Identify the one that is not correct. Then mark the corresponding letter on the Answer Sheet with a single line through the center.
46. If you take a ten-or fifteen-minutes vacation into the realm of imagination each day,
A B C
you may add much to the excitement and enjoyment of your life.
47. Susan, together with her husband and two sons, are to arrive on the evening flight.
A B C D
48. Onlyin this way we can win the match.
A B C D
49. Scientists and economists believe that human being can never use away all the mineral resources on Earth.
A B C D
50. When I got to the cinema, the film had already started; I ought to get there earlier.
A B C D
51. Einstein's relativity theory is the only one what can explain such phenomena.
A B C D
52. I can't help to think it would be fun to play such an exciting game with them.
A B C D
53. Riding on the swings (秋千) and playing with the ducks in the pond was our
children's greatest pleasure when we took them to the park.
54. Paul suggested that they meet in the front of the school gate at one o'lock Friday afternoon.
A B C D
55. Smith sold most of his belongings. He has hardly nothing left in the house.
A B C D
47.「答案」C.主语是Susan，谓语用单数。together with her husband and two sons是修饰语。
48.「答案」C.“only+状语”置于句首，句子要部分倒装。we can 改为 can we。
49.「答案」C.use up 表示“用光”。use away是错误搭配。
50.「答案」C.句中是指过去“我”应该到早些。表示过去应该做某事而没做，要用ought to have got。
52. 「答案」A.can't help doing sth. 表示“忍不住做某事”。to think改为thinking。
54.「答案」B.in the front of 表示“在……前部”；本句表示“在……前面”应该用in front of。
Part Ⅳ Cloze （10%）
Directions：There are 20 blanks in the following passage，and for each blank there are 4 choices marked A，B，C and D at the end of the passage. You should choose ONE answer that best fit into the passage. Then mark the corresponding letter on the Answer Sheet with a single line through the center.
Do you forget to turn off the lights and heaters when you go out of a room？In 2040 it will not 56 . They will turn themselves off—and on again when you return. A sensor will 57 the presence of a human and turn the systems on ， and when the humans 58 it will turn them off again.
The sensors will work 59 the central home computer ，and they will do much more than just turn the fires and lights on and off for you . They will detect 60 electrical appliances ，plugs or switches ，61 them so that they cannot harm anyone and then 62 you that they need 63 . They will detect fire and if you are out of the house ，the computer will call the fire brigade . It will also call the police 64 the sensors detect an intruder （闯入者）. This will not be too difficult 65 the locks on the 66 doors will be electronic . You will open them using your 67 card —the one you use for 68 —maybe using a number 69 only to you .
The computer will be 70 than a fireman-policeman servant . It will be an entertainer ，and most of your71 will come 72 into your home. It does now，73 by 2040“entertainment” will 74 much more . For one thing，you will be able to take 75 actively，rather than just watching.
56. A. matter B. function C. work D. mind
57. A. evaluate B. uncover C. detect D. expose
58. A. retire B. leave C. withdraw D. retreat
59. A. during B. in C.through D. between
60. A. displeasing B. unpleasant C. faulty D. mistaken
61. A. depart B. isolate C. divide D. break
62. A. warn B. tell C. persuade D. assure
63. A. mending B. reference C. separation D. repair
64. A. will B. should C. shall D. can
65. A. unless B. if C. when D. because
66. A. inside B. outside C. outstanding D. obvious
67. A. personal B. personnel C. particular D. general
68. A. hiring B. buying C. renewing D.shopping
69. A. realized B. adapted C. known D. informed
70. A. more B. much C. many D. fewer
71. A. achievements B. announcements C. improvement D. entertainment
72. A. only B. right C. correctly D. fast
73. A. but B. or C. other D. then
74. A. intend B. understand C. mean D. program
75. A. part B. place C. step D. action
Part Ⅳ Cloze
56.「答案」A.matter=be important，很重要。Function 表示运行，work表示正常，可行；mind表示介意。只有matter最符合题意。
60.「答案」C. faulty表示“有毛病的”。Displeasing 和unpleasant都是“令人不快的”，mistaken为“错误的”，都不符合题意。
61.「答案」B. 与前文呼应，发现有毛病的要隔离。Depart ： 启程，divide： 划分；break：打破。
66.「答案」B. outside doors 外门。
67.「答案」A. 用个人卡开门。Personal ：个人的；Personnel：全体职员。
69.「答案」C. 一个只有你知道的数码。Realize：意识到；adapt： 适应；inform：通知。
70.「答案」A. 由于下文还要谈到sensors还是一个entertainer，所以可知它不只是能当作fireman，policeman等。more than：不只是。
71.「答案」D. 由上文的entertainer可以推测出这里填entertainment “娱乐”最合适。
75.「答案」A. take part （in）：参加，参与。是固定搭配。
They will detect 60 electrical appliances ，plugs or switches ，61 them so that they cannot harm anyone and then 62 you that they need 63 .直译：他们将检测出有毛病的电器、管道或者电闸并加以隔离以防伤害到任何人；并警告你他们需要修理了。
句子结构分析： 总体骨架 they will detect…，isolate… and warn that…。句中还有一个so that 结构，做isolate的目的状语。
Part Ⅴ Translation （20%）
Directions：In this part，there are five sentences which you should translate into Chinese. These sentences are all taken from the 3 passages you have just read in the part of Reading Comprehension. You can refer back to the passages so as to identify their meanings in the context.
76. According to him，women are better liars than men.
77. He says there are several typical forms of this，such as covering part of the mouth with the fingers，touching the upper-lip or putting a finger of the hand at one side of the mouth.
78. Let children learn to judge their own work.
79. John had bought a packet of cigarettes just before we caught the train and he offered me one as we settled ourselves in our compartment.
80. The man weat on，in a rather more kindly way，to warn us against the dangers of smoking.
Directions：In this part，there are five sentences in Chinese. You should translate them into English. Be sure to write clearly.
79. 「答案」 就在我们赶上火车之前约翰买了一包烟，等我们在车厢安顿好之后他递给我一支。
81. 「答案」It is of great importance for college students to take part in social practice.
82. 「答案」As long as we use our brains，we can certainly come up with new ideas.
83. 「答案」This room is just as large as that one.
84. 「答案」This is the place where the First World War started.
85. 「答案」I wish I had paid more attention to pronunciation in the past.